Tuesday, December 22, 2009

The Power of One: Reaction

We recently finished watching a heartbreaking movie, as most inspirational movies are, about how one person, P.K., helped a few people in little ways that ended up giving hope to many. There were many, many scenes in this film I could not watch, for instance, when Botha and his friends decided to use P.K., played by the most adorable little kid, as a restroom. It was at that moment I realized that it wasn’t just the native Africans that were discriminated against. Sure they received the worst of the discrimination, but the English were also treated unfairly. Two more scenes I could not watch both involve Piet. I was not prepared for the cruelty inflicted on him by Sergeant Bormann. Following the scene where he made Piet eat off his shoe, I could barely keep my lunch down as I was eating it. Luckily, my friend had warned me what the sergeant would do next to Piet, beat him to death, so I along with my friend, covered our eyes when that horrible scene was taking place. There were as many inspiring moments in this movie as there were violent ones. My favorite included when Piet stood up to Sergeant Bormann right before he died. Just because I didn’t watch that scene, it doesn’t mean I couldn’t hear what was happening. I also liked the scene at Maria’s funeral because I felt that when everyone from Alexandria came and sang it showed her father that relationships exist despite race, religion, and social status. I agree with my fellow Globies who said this was their favorite Global Ed movie so far. It was very hard to watch, but you are totally immersed in what living in South Africa would have been like for the various races.

No comments:

Post a Comment