Thursday, October 1, 2009

America is a vibrant country full of life and love. When I think of America’s culture, I think classic cars and apple pies. I think of all the people preserving history by collecting classic cars. That to me is what America is all about. Our culture is not defined by one race or religion. Our culture is always becoming richer. Our culture becomes brighter and better every time we tolerate and respect those whose cultures differ from our own. To me, America’s culture is the freedom to choose. We are a melting pot of cultures all thrown together to create a beautiful, vibrant country.
My own culture is not so different from what I described above. I know how to bake an apple pie, and my grandpa collects and restores classic cars. My mom’s family is a hardcore, old school, German, Lutheran family. My mom and dad made sure their children were in church every Sunday, just as my mom was when she was growing up. We all eat a lot of German potato salad at every family gathering, excluding Christmas. My dad’s side is different. He grew up a Catholic Chreaster, that is he only went to church every once in a while, mainly on Christmas and Easter. His parents were both born in 1929, the year the Great Depression started. I grew up on stories about Boblo, jumping over the drunks passed out on the sidewalk on the way home, along other interesting tidbits about how to have fun during the Great Depression, and later, working with the Teamsters. My family is an all white family, except my cousin’s husband and three of her children are Mexican. I cannot say that I have been affected by their culture, seeing as I have met them two times. I would love to learn more about their culture.

No comments:

Post a Comment